About Me

My photo
After winning a premiership in my first season of football six year ago, I became a dedicated lover of the game. I am a rural journo by trade and just love telling peoples stories about as much as I love running on the pitch and playing football. Its all fun and games...so game on!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Canberra game packs em in!


Wasn't it great to see a good turn out at the Socceroo's Canberra game? Shame about the result...especially for the locals who don't get much of a chance to see international level football.

The 20,000 fans who went to the game (including a number of my old football mates from the Angels and UC Pumas) is great news for the push to getting an A-league team in the capital city.

I spent two years playing in Canberra and I was amazed at the number of grass root players involved at all levels of competition under the auspices of the local federation, Capital Football.

I have also been impressed by the local financial support that was given to the ACT's W=league team, Canberra United, which was runner up in the inaugural competition. Mind due just on the topic of United's success I don't think its any coincidence that Capitial Football has a female CEO in Heather Reid and the AIS is also based in the ACT.

In any case the Socceroo's may have lost the game but I hope Canberra is winning the battle to get an A-league team in the capital - it will mean just a little more momentum for the game...in a city which is very close to where big decisions are made.

Atticles related to this post:
Soccer turnout puts city on the front foot - Canberra Times Editorial, 7/3/09
FFA impressed by A-League bid - Merryn Sherwood, Canberra Times 7/3/09
Canberra Bid Boys Thrilled - Jon Ritson, FourFourTwo, 7/3/09
AND a big shout out to Eamon Sullivan for pointing me to thise articles from his 'Football in the Capital' blog

No comments:

Post a Comment